Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Call of Duty 4 (PS3)

I picked up Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare on PlayStation3 at the end of February. I started playing it when I got back to my apartment and it is the best shooter I have ever played. It is the main reason that there hasn't been any posts the last two weeks and the cause of my procrastination for everything else (outside of work).

The game looks good (I haven't seen it on my HDTV since that isn't at my apartment) and it is really addictive. The single player mode was engaging, but short. It can be beat in one night (I did it in about 7 hours). The battles and the enemies aren't easy, but they also weren't "throw your controller at the screen" difficult either.

Now for the key feature of the Call of Duty franchise, multiplayer. There is no shortage of people playing online and with the variety of maps and game types people will be playing for a long time. There is also going to be a Map Pack released relatively soon (4 new maps). You start at Level 1 and initially you can only play Team Deathmatch, but more modes become available as you progress. You gain experience for kills, assists, and a game bonus. You also gain experience points for completing certain challenges, like getting 150 kills with the AK-47 or killing 5 opponents by calling in air strikes. Some of the challenges you don't unlock until you reach a certain level. There is also a "Create a Class" option (unlocked at level 4, I think), this allows you to pick your primary weapon, secondary weapon, and perks, which you can save to use when playing games. The perks are separated into three sections and are very well balanced. There doesn't seem to be a dominant one, everyone likes different ones for different reasons. The better ones are unlocked as you level up.

I'm up to level 36 right now, if you want to play my PSN is frostedcakes.

My Rating: 10/10 - If you like shooters, BUY THIS GAME!

0 comments: