Thursday, February 7, 2008

Personal Project

I decided to start a small programming project at home. While I was trying to figure out what I should do, I thought that I should do something that I would actually use. I came up with an address book. I always rely on my cell phone for people's phone numbers, but what would happen if I lost my phone? I'd have to send emails to everyone saying I need their numbers or post something on facebook. If I created a web application that would allow me to easily enter numbers and addresses into a database, then losing my phone wouldn't be such a big deal.

Then, I had to decide the language, UI, and DBMS. I chose a language that I have done quite a bit of programming in, C#. This is just something I'm going to use at home, so I don't have to worry about licensing and since I have experience with it, I'll go with SQL Server 2005 for the DBMS. I wanted to try out something new for the UI, Silverlight. Hopefully, this will go smoother than my attempt to learn Flash a couple of years ago :S

Here are the links I've used so far:

Next is the design stage...

0 comments: